Being a web developer offers benefits most careers cannot.
- You do not need a college education to be a web developer.
- Companies will hire you based on your portfolio of sites. Develop A Job is designed to help you build your portfolio and get into your new career field quickly.
- Pay is based on the knowledge you have, not your education level.
- Everything you need to learn is available online, free of charge.
- Many web development jobs allow you to work from anywhere there is an internet connection, even your own home.
- Because every company and organization needs a website you can work at a variety of places. You can find corporate jobs, non-profit jobs, full-time hours, part-time hours, and even freelance jobs where you work for yourself at your own pace.
- The position of web developer is in very high demand and the demand continues to grow.
- A career as a web developer offers stability and long term career viability.
- The web is probably not going away in your lifetime, and society will always need people to work on it.
I’ve worked as a web developer for over 20 years, both freelance and in-house and in both, front and back-end development. The job is very much in demand but companies, more and more are requiring developers who can do both front and back-end development. I would develop both skill sets if I were entering the field now. Freelance work is the best place to start and build up your portfolio and your skill set.
I love the fact that there is a potential for a lot of freelance work in web design. I definitely would like a career where I can be my own boss and schedule my own workload, so this seems perfect for me. I’ve been doing a bit of freelance writing, but the pay is nowhere near as much as web design. Perhaps I’ll have to look at a career change.
I have to admit that at first I thought I wouldn’t be able to become a web developer; not even in a million years. Well, after 2 years of hard work and determination – being laid off triggered my desire for a much more in-demand job – I finally got hired as a front end developer. Yeah, the hours you have to put in might scare some but if you really like what you’re doing, it’s all worth it in the end.